Volunteers are always needed to ensure the highest quality events for the athletes. Whether as a coach or day of event volunteer, your role with Special Olympics Virginia, Northern Virginia is an experience you will never forget! Special Olympics coaches and volunteers are in GREAT need! Find out what opportunities exist for you! Find out the specific needs of your local Special Olympics program.
Become a Volunteer
Volunteers age 18 and older serving as coaches, partners, council members, chaperones,
athlete leadership mentors and drivers of athletes must become Class A Eligible Volunteers.
For those under 18, there is a similar process for Class A Minors.
For both, follow the procedures on the page at the click link.
What Coaches Do...
• Obtain necessary facilities and equipment for training.
• Help to recruit athletes and assistant coaches.
• Assist athletes in learning sports skills and applying them in competitions • Encourage confidence and self-esteem through sport.
• Conduct demonstrations in the community.
• Help start Partners Clubs of peer coaches with their athletes.
• Start Unified Sports® teams.
Special Olympics coaches play a unique and indispensable role in the success of our programs around the world. In addition to providing the important sports skills and instruction athletes need to succeed, our Coaches are also role models that encourage and inspire athletes to strive to reach their potential in both sports and life. Special Olympics coaches give our athletes an immediate awareness of their own worth, courage and ability to grow and improve to the highest capacity.